If you're considering a smile makeover with porcelain veneers, you're likely aware of the remarkable benefits they offer, such as improved tooth appearance and whiteness. However, it's crucial to be aware of potential issues that can arise when porcelain veneers are incorrectly placed. As an experienced cosmetic dentist with over 25 years of practice, I've witnessed a wide range of cases, from beautifully crafted veneers to problematic ones causing significant issues. As a consumer, it's essential to understand the key factors differentiating excellent veneer work from subpar results. This article will explore the five most prevalent problems associated with incorrectly done porcelain veneers and offer insights into their resolution.
- Swollen or Bleeding Gums: One critical aspect of successful porcelain veneers is ensuring they adhere to the natural tooth contours. Veneers that are excessively bulky around the gum line or inadequately seated can lead to plaque accumulation and significant gum inflammation. Proper attention to detail during the veneer placement process is vital to prevent such complications.
- Broken Veneers: When correctly bonded to the tooth, porcelain veneers are exceptionally durable. However, if the bite is not appropriately adjusted, they can easily break. Adequate care must be taken to ensure proper occlusion to avoid this issue and promote the longevity of the veneers.
- Veneer Dislodgement: A veneer may come off for two primary reasons. Firstly, inadequate bonding during the placement process, as bonding is a technique-sensitive procedure, and any error can compromise the bond strength. Secondly, excessive force exerted on the veneer due to a misaligned bite can cause it to pop off. Fortunately, in most cases, re-bonding the veneer should be a straightforward solution.
- Muscle and Joint Pain: If veneers are made longer than the original teeth, they can potentially affect the bite, leading to limited lower jaw movement. This bite discrepancy can result in muscle pain and jaw joint discomfort, commonly known as temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain. It is essential to carefully assess and adjust the bite to minimize these complications.
- Aesthetically Unpleasing Outcome: When veneers do not harmonize with a person's facial features, they may appear too large, too small, or simply artificial. This issue often arises when inexperienced professionals collaborate with unskilled lab technicians to create intricate porcelain restorations. Attention to detail and reliance on skilled experts is paramount to achieving natural-looking veneers that enhance the overall appearance.
Resolving the Problems
Unfortunately, four out of the five problems mentioned above typically require veneer replacement. Re-bonding may suffice if a veneer pops off intact and the bite is adjusted to prevent future incidents. However, if the veneer causes gum bleeding, is broken, leads to muscle or joint pain, or fails to meet aesthetic expectations, replacing the veneer or set of veneers is usually necessary.
Experience and continuing education play pivotal roles in a dentist's ability to create durable, aesthetically pleasing veneers. If you're seeking a dentist to enhance your smile, it's crucial to ask a lot of questions. Surprisingly, veneers are not typically taught in dental school, making them a technical skill acquired through extensive post-graduation continuing education. Dentistry combines science and aesthetics to create beautiful and long-lasting restorations, ensuring your smile receives the best possible treatment. Choose a dentist at the forefront of their field to guarantee exceptional results.
About the Author
Dr. Julio Hernandez is an esteemed cosmetic dentist and smile architect based in Miami, Florida. As the proud owner of Biscayne Dental & Facial Aesthetics, he brings his wealth of experience and expertise to provide exceptional dental care. With a strong background in orthodontics, Dr. Julio possesses a distinctive perspective when it comes to restoring smiles to their optimal occlusion. He is widely recognized as a leading authority in his field and is a frequent guest on various syndicated television programs, where he shares his valuable insights with audiences.