Stop Snoring in Miami
Get a Better Night’s Sleep
Are you seeking solutions for loud snoring? If you or someone you know is constantly snoring, it’s important to realize that the disruptive noise is actually the body’s attempt to force air through a constricted airway. With the right dental appliances, airways can be opened more fully to allow a more peaceful sleep.
Looking for a solution to a snoring problem? Let the experts at Biscayne Dental & Facial Aesthetics help. Call (305) 224-1138 today for a consultation.
What is Sleep Apnea?
An apnea occurs when airflow at the mouth and nose stops for more than 10 seconds. Those who experience 30 or more apnea episodes during a seven-hour sleep period are believed to be suffering from Sleep Apnea. These episodes can last anywhere between 10 to 20 seconds, ending once the patient has woken up. Some people experience as many as 300 apneic episodes each night!
Apnea severity is categorized by how many apnea episodes occur within a period, such as:
- Mild—5-15 episodes per hour
- Moderate—15-25 episodes per hour
- Severe—More than 30 episodes per hour
What Does Snoring Have to Do with Sleep Apnea?
When air can’t properly travel through an airway, the tissue in the windpipe vibrates to make a loud sound. Some snoring is benign and leaves the person without any physical problems. However, some snoring can cause what is called Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome, where snoring is so loud and labored that they wake up throughout the night, leaving them groggy when they awake the next morning.
Some signs that indicate a person suffers from sleep apnea can include:
- Loud, frequent snoring
- Sounds of choking during sleep
- Lingering daytime sleepiness
- Restless, unrelaxing sleep
- Headache or nausea upon waking up
- Morning dry mouth
- Decreasing job performance
- Unreliable memory
- Decreased libido
- Clenching or grinding teeth
- Scratchy throat
- Anxiety, depression, or erratic mood changes
- Waking up multiple times throughout the night
How to Avoid Snoring in Children
Children can suffer from sleep apnea as well, and it can result in growth and developmental problems. If they are exhibiting symptoms of breathing or snoring problems, do not ignore them. Dr. Julio Hernandez has and his caring staff provides evaluations for early orthodontic intervention to children as young as seven years of age. Early treatment can prevent future problems with breathing and snoring.
Some signs and symptoms seen in children include:
- Developmental delay
- Poor concentration
- Hypo-nasal quality to their voice
- Noisy breathers
- Frequent upper airway infections
- Nocturnal mouth breathing
- Restless sleep
- Chronic nose running
- Night terrors
Sleep Apnea Treatments in Miami
Since the causes of sleep apnea depend on many factors, no single treatment will work for all patients. Determining the right treatment option requires understanding each factor and how it affects each patient. Dr. Julio Hernandez and the staff at Biscayne Dental & Facial Aesthetics perform detailed, comprehensive examinations to evaluate your risk of sleep apnea and, if suspected, refer patients for a sleep study. These studies can determine the severity of the apnea in order to determine the best treatment options.
Treatment options available include:
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP)—This solution uses a mask that fits over the nose to keep fresh air flowing into the airway throughout the night, and is highly effective. Unfortunately, daily compliance by patients using CPAP is less than 50%. This is due to the fact that the machine is inconvenient, restricts patient’s movements, and can dry out the airway mucosa.
- Surgical Approaches—There are various surgical approaches used to address sleep apnea. The most beneficial of all is the nasal reconstruction, used when an obstruction exists in the nasal passage. These could include a deviated septum, enlarged turbinates, or polyps in the nose. Other surgical procedures include the UPPP, LAUP and the Somnoplasty. These have very limited long-term benefit and should be considered only in very specific cases. Finally, orthognathic surgical procedures used to advance the mandible and/or the maxilla have been used in order to create more room for the tongue and reposition the muscles to a more favorable position.
- Dental sleep appliances—Different appliances can be used to reduce snoring, resolve sleep apnea, allow for higher oxygen flow, and eliminate excessive daytime sleepiness. These appliances work by repositioning the mandible and the soft palate, bringing the tongue forward and opening the airway. These appliances are particularly appropriate for those patients who cannot handle CPAP or when surgery is contraindicated.
We utilize low-radiation dental x-rays, oral cancer screenings, and a 3-D digital impression system. These systems allow us to provide you with a better diagnosis, and more insightful solutions all while keeping you comfortable. No expense is spared in making sure we provide you with the best possible level of dental care.
Proven Track Record
More than 20 years of professional experience
Trusted & Effective
Highly decorated and esteemed professionals
Recognized By The Press
As a leading authority in cosmetic dentistry
Comprehensive dental services are offered at our office