Having teeth that are crooked or too close together can lead to dental problems in addition to making people feel self-conscious about their smile. Crooked or crowded teeth can make it difficult to clean them thoroughly, which can lead to a higher risk of tooth decay due to increased plaque buildup.
Invisalign offers an effective way to prevent these problems from occurring while also giving patients a straight, healthy smile.
Invisalign® is a set of custom-made aligner trays that patients wear on a regular basis for most of the day. These aligners are similar to braces in that they gradually help straighten teeth and ensure proper jaw alignment. Invisalign® is an invisible, removable straightening process that offers more comfort and convenience than traditional metal braces.
Reasons to Consider This Treatment
Patients who are good candidates for this type of straightening process typically have one of the following conditions:
- Gaps between teeth: These can increase the risk of gum problems and periodontal disease.
- Overbite: When the upper teeth come down over the lower teeth instead of lining up properly, this can cause jaw pain and gum irritation.
- Under bite: When the lower teeth stick out past the front teeth, this can cause increased wear and tear on teeth, as well as jaw pain.
- Crowded teeth: This can lead to teeth that are severely crooked, leading to plaque buildup and tooth decay.
- Open bite: When some teeth aren’t able to line up with the teeth below them, this can lead to chewing and speech problems.
- Crossbite: When both jaws are not lined up properly, this can cause gum disease, tooth deterioration and bone loss.
The treatment process begins with the dentist taking X-rays and making impressions of the patient’s teeth in order to come up with a digital 3D image. The dentist uses this image to determine approximately how long the patient should use Invisalign® based on the patient’s individual needs.
The next step involves having the customized aligner trays created by an outside lab. Once the aligners are ready, the patient should keep them on throughout the day, except when eating, brushing or flossing.
Every two weeks, the patient will receive a new set of aligners to wear. Each new set of aligners brings the patient closer to having straight teeth. The patient will also need to come in for follow-up visits to make sure that everything is on track.
Benefits Over Traditional Braces
Invisalign offers several advantages over other teeth straightening devices, such as traditional braces. These benefits include the following:
- Color: Invisalign® is clear, while traditional braces have a metallic color that is very noticeable on the teeth.
- Maintenance: The trays can be easily cleaned by brushing and rinsing or by using a cleaning system. Braces are more difficult to clean thoroughly, which can cause bits of food to get stuck in between them.
- Convenience: Invisalign® aligners are removable, making it easy to eat, while braces can make eating uncomfortable.
- Comfort: Invisalign® aligners are comfortable to wear, while braces have wires and brackets that can cause discomfort in the mouth.
Invisalign® does not require a great deal of care, although patients should do the following:
- Clean aligners every night, preferably with a cleaning system.
- Take aligners out before eating and brushing in order to avoid damaging them.
- Wear Invisalign® for a minimum of 22 hours per day.
Why Choose Us
Dr. Julio Hernandez has nearly 2 decades of experience in orthodontics. He has treated thousands of patients and understands the importance of straight teeth and a correct bite. Dr. Julio uses his experience in cosmetic dentistry and facial esthetics to improve not only the patients smile but also the health of the joints and surrounding tissues. Understanding that teeth are part of a system and that any change in any part of the system will affect the whole system, is why Dr. Julio has had such incredible success in treating in the most difficult of cases.
At Biscayne Wellness Center, we work with every patient to ensure that their smile is as glorious as can be. Please schedule a consultation with us today to determine if Invisalign®, or another option, would be right for you.