Dental Cleaning in Miami, FL
Dental cleanings, also known as prophylaxis are very common. However, not all prophy’s are done the same nor do they yield the same results. The importance of routine dental cleanings cannot be overemphasized. Research in the field of dental health has shown a strong link between gum disease and heart disease. Additionally, gum disease has been shown to be a contributing factor in diabetes.
The bacteria in our mouth can migrate to other areas. We swallow that bacteria every day. Also, when our gums bleed, bacteria can get into our bloodstream potentially affecting the rest of our organs. Your gum health can vary a lot throughout your life depending on your diet, habits, general health and environmental factors. Therefore, it is important to maintain regular dental cleaning appointments two or three times a year.
Teeth Cleaning at Biscayne Wellness Center
At Biscayne Wellness Center, we go to great lengths to prevent periodontal disease from occurring or progressing. We accomplish this by evaluating a complete set of x-rays & then evaluate the patient in the chair. Patients’ medical history, habits, diet and other factors are all discussed.
Although most dental cleaning appointments are about 30 minutes, we take a full hour to complete a regular cleaning. This is twice as long as most offices allow. We understand that a dental hygienist needs an adequate amount of time to be effective. Our hygienist, Stephanie Sommer has over 35 years of experience in the dental field. She customizes every dental cleaning to the patients’ individual needs. In addition, we use special instruments and medications to ensure a thorough cleaning.
During your 60-minute hygiene appointment, Stephanie will do the following:
- clean and polish your teeth above the gum line
- use a Piezoelectric ultrasonic scaler to remove tartar deposits under the gum line
- perform a gingival lavage using first chlorhexidine gluconate 12% (a very potent antibacterial solution), then 2% neutral sodium fluoride (to aid in remineralization of the teeth and prevent decay)
- use of air polisher with mixture of salt (removes dead tissue, stimulates circulation and regeneration of new cells), sodium bicarbonate (neutralizes acids, balances ph., and deodorizes by killing anaerobic bacteria) and pumice (polishes enamel and removes stain without abrading)
A proper home care maintenance regimen is important to keep gums healthy. If you are suffering from bleeding gums, bad breath or gingivitis, you may be due for a dental cleaning. The following tips will help keep your teeth and gums healthy:
Dental Cleaning Tips:
- Brush for a minimum of 2 minutes twice a day
- Brush thoroughly
- Use floss to get in between teeth where brushing does not reach
- Use mouth rinses as necessary to decrease gum inflammation or prevent caries
- Limit acidic drinks like soft drinks, cordials and fruit juices
- Eat less sugary foods
- Protect your teeth from injury (to save a knocked-out tooth, place it in a glass of milk)
- DON’T use your teeth for anything other than chewing food
- See Dr. Julio Hernandez for regular check-ups
These habits should be incorporated early in life so they become routine. Preventing gingivitis and tooth decay will help keep your teeth strong and improve your overall health. Another way to prevent tooth decay is by placing sealants on the permanent teeth of kids starting at age 6.
Dental Sealants- Preventative Dental Treatments for Kids
Sealants should be used as part of a child’s total preventive dental care in Miami. Dental sealants are thin plastic coatings which are applied to the chewing surfaces of the molars (back teeth). Most tooth decay in children and teens occurs in these surfaces. Sealants cover the chewing surfaces to prevent decay. Applying sealants does not require drilling or removing tooth structure. It is an easy three-step process: We clean the tooth with a special toothpaste. A special cleansing liquid, on a tiny piece of cotton, is rubbed gently on the tooth and is washed off. Finally, the sealant is painted on the tooth. It takes about a minute for the sealant to form a protective shield.
One sealant application can last for as long as 5 to 10 years. Sealants should be checked regularly, and reapplied if they are no longer in place. Children and adults at high risk of dental decay may benefit from using additional preventative products, including dietary supplements, mouth rinses, and professionally applied gels and varnishes.
Affordable Dental Care in Miami, FL
For tips on affordable dental care in Miami or for your FREE consultation, call Miami’s best dentist, Dr. Julio Hernandez! Biscayne Wellness Center can recommend the perfect dental care for you in Miami! Biscayne Wellness Center is Miami’s 360 Wellness Spa conveniently located on Biscayne boulevard between Wynwood Arts District and Miami Beach! Call us today for your complete dental care 305-572-1600! Biscayne Wellness Center offers 0% interest-free financing! All you have to do is fill out a simple form for approval!